Saturday, July 31, 2010

Dollar Store "Faux"-pothecary

UPDATE: I finally found it! Here is the link up to where I found this idea.

 I've been seeing a lot of these apothecary jars in BlogLand and I haven't been able to find any at the thrift stores. But then I saw this idea of taking candle sticks and glass jars from the dollar tree and gluing them together. I was on that idea in a matter of hours.

I Really hate to take an idea and not give credit to the blog I found it on, but I was SO sure that I found the blog from the "dollar store crafts Facebook page" and now I can't find it for the life of me! I googled it and found a few blogs with similar ideas but not the same one I saw. So if I find it, I will for sure update this.

So here is my work in progress:

 Now I HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend finding a base similar to the one on the right.... because otherwise you will have something top heavy and you may end up with a situation similar to this:
And then there were 2
Here are some pictures of my bathroom:
The Rug

I'll keep you updated on the bathroom sink. I'm not totally satisfied.... Then again, will I ever be? :P

17 comments:

  1. Ooo that's such a good idea! They look so expensive! Your bathroom looks cute, by the way :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. your bathroom sink is nice, what do you mean!? You should see my sink and light fixture....there's a reason I haven't posted about it...HAHAHAHHA...Right out of the 70's. Well, earlier! I would love your sink!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. seriously??? we weren't going for the sink thing..are some people really as shallow as a sink...besides...old school sinks rock! they last longer, stain less, have less breakable parts to replace, have character and are functional unlike the cheap new stuff...can't use if have to wait for that part...DON'T CHANGE A THING...YOU WILL REGRET IT! speaking from experience

      Delete
  3. p.s love the jars. I made one with a silver candlestick, that looks cute too! They DO look expensive! I love when that happens!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are beautiful! I know that Dollar Store Crafts had something similar where she made a cake plate out of a regular plate and a glass/cup/candlestick holder - maybe that's what you were thinking of???

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this! I will have to try them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great Idea! Is this what you were looking for?
    http://dollarstorecrafts.com/2010/11/make-a-large-apothecary-jar/

    ReplyDelete
  7. what kind of glue did you use?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. use the gorilla glue its the best

      Delete
    2. Is there a special gorilla glue or did you use the regular kind that foams?

      Delete
  8. I've seen these everywhere and I love them! I can't wait to make some of my own. Mind if link to you in a post and use one of your pics?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome ! Finding the right vase and base - I can make some to use on the candy/dessert table at a party.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is and always has been a great idea..works great, many styles to create but hey I'm 71 and this idea was old when i was 20...but like i said before, its a great idea and everyone can run with their own style..therefore it is unique as well as great...imagine the limits to this project..there are none and unless someone copies there are no two alike. Enjoy having fun with this idea...before you know it you will have soap jars, candy jars, drink glasses, even hook to plates & have candy plates..shall i continue..a good idea is really a good idea when it keeps resurfacing and becomes a good idea again...i like it, have always loved it and will make them again I'm sure..you go with your good idea, I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. A "dollar store faux apothecary" likely refers to a decorative item or project designed to Best Mouse mimic the appearance of an old-fashioned apothecary jar or container.

    ReplyDelete

I Love comments! Feel free to leave any feedback or suggestions! Thanks for reading.