Monday, July 4, 2011

Cigar Box Ring Organizer

My lovely friend Ali (doesn't she have a great name??) asked me to make her a ring holder. She had them all on a rod/stick/pole thing (technical terms) and she hated having to take off all the rings if she wanted one at the bottom. So after her explaining the gist of what she wanted, here is what I came up with:

 Isn't it fantastic? I was pretty sad to give it to her. 
(I have enough stuff to make me one too so don't feel to bad for me)

Read More and Ill tell you how I made it!!







 First grab some foam or a chair cushion.
If you are trying to go "on hand" you could also use pillow stuffing.


 Then pick out some cute coordinating fabrics.


 And get a cigar box. If you go into any smoke shop they usually have tons of boxes. If you bat your eyelashes and ask real nicely they may give them to you. The one I went to didn't think I was pretty apparently and made me pay $2 per box. Still a pretty good deal tho.

You could also make your own box from a cereal box and tape and mod podge or any other boxy thing with low sides.


Now that you have your "boxy thing" cut out a square of foam that will fit. I used a box cutter for this.


Now slice up the square into rectangles. Try to be straight but they will be covered so don't freak out if they are a little jagged. Mine are about an inch but you can make them bigger or smaller depending on how many rows you want.


Now cut a piece of fabric to fit and hot glue it around the foam.

*If you are using batting you will want to sew a "tube" and stuff it with the batting



 Glue up the ends


 Squeeze some glue in the box and place your roll as close to the front as possible.


Keep going until you end up with this:



Now place all of your fancy rings in the box













Where do you store your rings? Everyone is always looking for great ways to organize their jewelry!




Check out where I'm linking up:
http://tipjunkie.com/" target="_blank">http://www.tipjunkie.com/images/TipMeTuesdayButton1.png" alt="Tip Junkie handmade projects" border="0"/>

19 comments:

  1. Great idea!

    -Ponytails

    http://mypassionsforfashions.blogspot.com

    P.S. I love that owl ring!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG! I have a cigar box in my basement!! Now I know what I have to do. Thanks so much for the idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea! It turned out super cute! Thanks for stopping by my blog and for the sweet comment :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. AWESOME IDEA!

    I'd love if you come and share this at my link party starting tomorrow until Saturday...

    You can visit my blog today and see some of my favorite projects from last week.

    I hope to see you there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is awesome!!! Now I have to go find a smoke shop!!! LOL. TYFS.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a a great project! Can you make one for me??

    ReplyDelete
  7. Holy smokes I love it! I so need to do this!!
    Found you on the My Girlish Whims linky! yay! Great inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Easy, cute and functional! Love <3

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, that's great! I will have to try that and make it to match the earring and necklace holder I made a few weeks back! Check it out here: http://www.adetailorientedlife.com/2011/06/diy-jewelry-hanger.html

    <3, Molly

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is such a cool idea!!! And I already have the perfect box for a project like this! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love it! So creative and it looks very easy... I am craft/ sewing challenged and I feel like I could do that!

    -Jamie
    www.cookwithjamiemae.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. wonderful Idea and wonderful project
    Excuse my english
    from Ursula

    ReplyDelete
  13. This such a great idea! Thanks so much for linking up to Your Whims Wednesday. I featured this on my twitter page! Feel free to grab a button if you would like :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wicked! I think I gotta make myself one, now... where to find a cigar box? A good excuse to go charity shop hunting!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It is DIY or repurposed project where a cigar box is used to create an organizer specifically for rings. 6700k Vs 6800k The box is typically divided or decorated to hold rings securely and in an organized manner.

    ReplyDelete

I Love comments! Feel free to leave any feedback or suggestions! Thanks for reading.